Friday 13 January 2012

Core

Today this blog will reach 300 unique page views, and I thought I would mark this by cutting to the chase with what I originally had planned for this blog. No use dragging you around any further if you would disagree completely with this post and never return.
As with so many other things in life I did feel like buttering my audience up first. To give a broader perspective on my perspectives, so it is not just a label I will be attaching to myself and then having that be my official tag. So you would know that there is so much more to these opinions than what I can express in this post.

What I am interested in is sociology. I believe that is the correct word to use when describing an interest in knowledge about society. I want to understand the building blocks of societies and all possible evolutions of them, and I think this stems from a sizable curiosity about the future. Obviously there is a personal element to all of this, which I may return to at a later point, but for now I want to keep this abstract to fully visualise for you an alternative perspective on society.

If I asked you what is the most fundamentally unchallenged element of society what would you say?

I would say: The monetary system. It is like a religion that has been scientifically accepted. Adam Smith's invisible hand guiding the world. Few people can even imagine what the world would be without it. Most would probably say that without money we would return to barter, goods and live stock trading, but that not imaginative in any way. It is not a step forward, it is not evolution. It would be a huge leap backwards technologically and culturally.

So the question becomes: Is there an alternative? And in spirit of my post from yesterday, you would have to also apply the secondary question with primary significance: What would make such an alternative preferable? An underlining of the "why". For this would not just be a game of innovation beyond cultural barriers, it would have to be a clear cut investigation into the possibility of the next large cultural paradigm shift.

At this point I had to decide in what direction I wanted to take this post. Did I want a wall of text describing my personal take on this, or could a slide show presentation make do? I decided that there are people much better suited than myself to describe such an awesome (the old meaning of the word) concept.

As a bonus Mr. Peter Joseph will in this TEDx presentation also be answering my secondary question with primary significance. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment